The rules (as per the article):
1. Choose a selection of items and wear only those for the next two weeks. (She chose nine but the original concept includes ten items. I'm doing ten because who cares.)
2. Mix and match them however I like and wear them with whatever accessories or shoes I wanted.
3. Seasonal necessities (like winter coats) and special-occasion wear (like a dress you'd wear to a wedding) wouldn't count toward the core mix. (WHAT ABOUT CARDIGANS. HALP.)
I put my cardigan panic aside and started out strong:
Madewell black coated skinny jeans
Then I hit a wall. I have gaping holes in my closet that I've been ignoring for way too long. Like, I only own three skirts, one of which hasn't fit me in a while and the other two are pretty specific looks - pencil skirts in bright red and leopard print. Cute but not terribly versatile. The leopard print might make the cut though. It's cute and I haven't worn it in a while.
Also not very versatile are my dresses. I don't have a skinny strap dress that can be layered in a cute way, instead I have (mostly) print dresses that can be worn as what they are. Maybe I'm not being creative enough? I thought maybe a solid wrap dress would be a good addition but it's not like I can mix and match with that. Man, why is this so hard?
Other things I don't own: dress pants, culottes, a job where I can wear a sheer blouse like, nbd. WHY IS THIS SO HARD.
So, on the "maybe" list:
- black or purple wrap dress
- black boatneck top (instead of the black silk blouse?)
*And seriously, what about cardigans? I mostly wear them for warmth, not really for style, but I feel like it would be cheating to not count them. And can I really get away with one? And I've only include one dress. Do I need two dresses? What about a little jacket? Why are my clothes so boring? Why am I trying to fit skirts in when I don't really wear them much to begin with? Can I just wear a dusty gin sack and call it done?
To conclude, I thought I'd be starting this challenge today but I am woefully unprepared. I'm going to take some time to figure things out and I'll report back with the final list.